For Media Inquiries, contact
HOIInfo@hoag.org or call 855-999-HOI1(4641).
Hoag Accolades & Achievements
Recognized Clinical Excellence
- 2009 Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence
- 2009 Patient Safety Excellence Award
- 2009 Orthopedic Care Excellence Award
- 2009 Stroke Care Excellence Award
- 2009 Vascular Care Excellence Award
A study by an independent health care research firm placed Hoag within
the top 10 percent of hospitals in the nation for a number of specialties:
Winner of the 2009 Award for Quality
The Premier Healthcare Alliance recognized Hoag as a national leader for
its commitment to high-quality patient care and operational efficiency.
Hoag is a designated Magnet Hospital and achieved Magnet Status for excellence
in nursing services by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC).
Hoag has earned accreditation from the College of American Pathologists
(CAP) and the American Association of Blood Banks (AABB).
2009 HHS Bronze Medal of Honor
The Department of Health and Human Services recognized Hoag for its success
in increasing the number of organs available for transplantation.
Outstanding Patient Satisfaction
Outstanding Patient Experience Award
A leading healthcare company study found a high patient satisfaction score
based on Hoag’s patients’ experiences in the hospital.
Selected as “Top Hospital” in ADVANCE for Nurses Readers Choice survey
ADVANCE for Nurses magazine voted Hoag one of the top five hospitals in
Southern California by readers in their 2008 ADVANCE Reader’s Choice survey.
Consumers’ Choice for 14th Consecutive Year
Hoag has been named “Best Hospital in Orange County” 14 times
by readers of The Orange County Register.
Best Hospital in Orange County
For the 14th consecutive year, Hoag has been chosen as the most preferred
hospital by Orange County residents, and received National Research Corporation’s
(NRC) Consumer Choice Award.
A Leader Among California Hospitals
Hoag scored above the national comparisons and ranked second out of 232
California hospitals in the Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare
Providers and Systems (HCAHPS) Survey Patient Satisfaction Report.
Centers of Excellence
Cancer, Heart and Vascular, Neurosciences, Orthopedics, Women’s Health Services
- Hoag Cancer Center received the Outstanding Achievement Award and nationally
accreditation as a “Comprehensive Community Cancer Program”
from the Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons.
- Hoag’s overall five-year relative survival rate for invasive cancer
exceeds the national figure by a full 11 percentage points.
- Ranked 79th overall for cancer treatment by US News & World Report
to rank in top two percent of all hospitals and top 10 percent among 921
cancer hospitals in the US; rated 45th overall in reputation for cancer treatment
- Hoag offers one of the highest volume of robotic surgery programs in Southern
- Highest Rating For Cardiac Surgery – The Society of Thoracic Surgeons
placed Hoag in the highest category for quality. This rating is based
on the STS assessment of clinical performance. This 3-star rating (the
highest possible) is achieved by only 10 percent of hospitals nationwide.
- Hoag Hospital was named one of the nation’s 100 Top Hospitals®
for cardiovascular care by Thomson Reuters.
- Hoag Heart and Vascular Institute (HHVI) has achieved national accreditation
for all of its programs.
- HHVI’s echocardiography laboratory received accreditation from the
governing body of the Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of
Echocardiography Laboratories (ICAEL).
- HHVI has the longest-running accreditation in Orange County for its vascular
laboratory through the Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation
of Vascular Laboratories (ICAVL) and has received national accreditation
for its cardiac rehabilitation program through the American Association
of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR).
- Patti Andre, M.S.N, ACNP-C/CCNS, cardiac surgery program nurse practitioner
at Hoag was recently awarded the 2010 American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
(AANP) State Award for Excellence.
- Jennifer Ballard-Hernandez, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN-CSC, heart failure program
nurse practitioner at Hoag was recently named Chair, American College
of Cardiology, Southern California, Cardiac Care Associates.
- The American Stroke Association awarded Hoag’s Neurosciences Center
of Excellence Stroke Program with the Get With The Guidelines-Stroke Gold
Performance Achievement Award for the team’s continued commitment
and success in providing a higher standard of stroke care.
- Hoag’s Stroke Program earned the Gold Seal of Approval™ from
The Joint Commission for Primary Stroke Centers without any suggestions
- Hoag designated as a Stroke-Neurology Receiving Center (SNRC) by The Orange
County Health Care Agency, one of only nine hospitals in Orange County.
- Sum Total Systems Innovation Award for dementia education, recognizing
Hoag for its tremendous vision, innovation and achievement through the
use of talent development strategies.
- Hoag Orthopedics features the largest, most experienced medical staff in
the area, with more than 40 physicians specializing in advanced orthopedic
and spine procedures. It has the highest volume for inpatient orthopedic
procedures and more total joint replacement (hip/knee) than any other
hospital in Orange County.
- Hoag is ranked second in California for overall orthopedic services by
an independent health care company.
- Hoag Breast Care Center was recognized in July 2009 by the National Consortium
of Breast Centers as a Certified Quality Breast Center™. Hoag is
the first hospital in Orange County, and one of only six hospitals in
the nation, to receive this coveted designation, joining the ranks of
- In June 2009, Hoag received designation as a certified Baby-Friendly™
birth facility, by Baby-Friendly USA, a global program sponsored by the
World Health Organization and the United Nations Children’s Fund
(UNICEF), which recognizes hospital and birthing facilities that offer
an optimal level of care and education in lactation.