While we have been prioritizing urgent and emergent orthopedic cases since
March, we are pleased to share that beginning May 1, we will be resuming
scheduled surgical procedures at HOI with a phased approach.
The move to resume scheduled surgical procedures was made:
- In the context of recent guidance from federal, state and local governmental agencies.
- In alignment with the approach recommended by clinical professional organizations.
- COVID-related hospital and resource capacity in California and Orange County
specifically, has not been significantly impacted to date (which was a
material driver of the early actions to limit procedures to urgent/emergent,
in order to preserve those resources).
- Many in our community have orthopedic care needs that have been deferred
for an extended period of time and the conditions are such that we may
now increasingly meet those needs.
Pre-Op Patient Screening & Testing Protocol
We will proceed with our plan in a thoughtful and judicious manner, monitoring
the data daily and will be ready to adjust as necessary based on changing
We have also developed and implemented additional safety measures to protect
our patients, physicians and staff members in accordance with CDC and
other regulatory guidelines:
Patient Pre-Op COVID-19 Test must be completed 3 days prior to surgery followed by self-isolation until
scheduled surgery date.
- Patient screening at admission in accordance with CDC guidelines including
temperature, health and travel history.
- Visitor restrictions
- Screening and limiting all personnel and visitors entering the facility
pre-op classes to assist patients and caregivers to prepare for a successful surgery
- Limiting personnel in the Operating Rooms
- Screening of all staff members and doctors upon entrance to the facility
to include, but not limited to, masking, temperature and social distancing rules.
While COVID-19 is likely our new normal for the foreseeable future, we
are well positioned to begin to more fully serve our community in a manner
consistent with our mission and vision.
Thank you for choosing Hoag Orthopedic Institute. We are here to help you
“Get Back to You.”
Contact Your Orthopedic Surgeon Today