Dr. Steven Barnett
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), each year there
are 14,700 holiday decorating related ER-treated injuries. That’s
an average of about 240 injuries per day during the holiday season! Hoag
Orthopedic Institute’s Dr. Steven Barnett, an orthopedic surgeon,
gives six safety tips to make holiday decorating safer this year.
- Avoid climbing ladders if you’re over 50 years old. Ladders can be
hazardous for the aging and elderly due to an increased risk of injury
- Stay off the roof.
- Wear sensible shoes – preferably lace-up shoes that are tied securely.
- Do all your prep work on the floor – this limits the amount of time
spent on the ladder.
- Remove any hazards that might inhibit your ability to move freely in your
- Set the ladder at the correct angle according to manufacturer specifications
and make sure your feet are secure.